Solar Power – Going Green Never Looked This Good
The Australian Government has been trying to enlighten people about the benefits of solar power since 2001, through the Mandatory Renewable Energy Target (MRET) scheme. The MRET program has since then merged with territory and state targets to form the RET, which consists of Small-scale Renewable Energy Schemes (SRES) as well as Large-scale Renewable Energy Target (LRET).
Having the SRES in place, solar power systems have been increasing in popularity is Australian households. Some of the solar power facts by the Australian Clean Energy Council (CEC) have been listed and by the looks of them, they form a really encouraging picture.
Solar Power Facts
Let’s take a look at some solar power facts that have been listed by the Australian Clean Energy Council (CEC):
• Australia is considered as the highest country in the world that has the most availability of solar radiation per square metre.
• Located in Liddel, New South Wales, is Australia’s biggest solar power plant, which has the capacity of 3MW.
• With an installed capacity of 1.2 MW, the St. Lucia Campus of the University of Queensland has the largest photovoltaic plant in Australia.
• By the year 2020, the Australian government has projected that there would be a 20% replacement of total energy consumption with solar power.
• Approximately around 9.6% of electricity is contributed by renewable energy sources in Australia.
• More people are looking towards renewable energy as a source of generating electricity, since electricity prices in Australia have actually increase by 30% in the last four years.
• The growth of the CEC’s list of Accredited Installer and Designers is six times larger than it was three years ago.
• 4% to 7% of Household energy bills in Australia will be contributed by renewable energy, by the year 2020.
• More than 6% of Australian households now use solar power systems.
• In the last three years, the number of households using solar panels has increased by 35 times.
• By the year 2015, the cost of solar power systems are expected to cost as much as conventional electricity.
• With the largest solar power capacity installed in New South Wales, Australia’s annual capacity for solar power is approximately equal to 540MW.
• Many people even retired citizens are thinking about investing into solar power systems.
Interesting Facts Related to Australia
• Australia has enough roof space available to meet the electricity demand for the entire continent.
• If harnessed effectively, solar power can be the continent’s largest energy source.
• The solar radiation that falls reaches Australia is in fact, approximately 15,000 times more than the energy consumption required by the continent.
Advantages of Solar Power
By the year 2020, it is believed that the Australian energy demand will actually increase by 50%. The estimated investment in the growth of the solar power project is an astounding AUD 37 billion.
This is also likely to decrease the level of emissions and the key here is to manage this project effectively, to truly harness the power of renewable solar energy that is accessible by the country.
So, let’s take a look at the advantages of solar power:
• It is one of the cleanest sources of energy and is becoming highly affordable.
• Solar power does not deplete natural resources.
• When solar power is used, gas emissions are drastically reduced.
• The imports of fossil fuels can be reduced with the use of solar energy.
• The Dependence on nuclear energy is reduced.
• The consumption of water is reduced.
• When using solar power there’s no waste being generated.
• No form of noise pollution.
• The rural economy is improved with the use of solar energy.
Solar Power Technology
Solar power can be produced directly or indirectly. The energy from the sun can directly be converted into electricity using photovoltaic cells that have been connected together through modules. This is considered as the basis for photovoltaics. The indirect conversion, however, is accomplished by absorbing the solar energy through mirrors or lenses. In the concentrated solar energy system, the sunlight that spread over a vast area is concentrated to form a small beam. The heat generated during this process is then utilised by the power plant. There are various technologies that have been created that can allow play a part in this process like a Stirling dish, linear Fresnel reflector, parabolic trough and many others.
Advantages of Solar Energy in Australia
Australian consumers finally have the option to reduce their energy expense; all they have to do is simply install a solar energy system in their homes. The Australian government, in hopes of encouraging people towards solar energy systems, has actually introduced incentives and rebates for small business and households who want to invest into solar energy. These incentives include:
Solar Credit Program
This program covers both on and off grid power systems. The solar credit applies to the first 1.5kW system capacity installed. These credits even cover off grid systems. You can even earn solar credit multipliers for the first 20kW capacity system when installed.
Renewable Energy Certificates (REC)
REC’s are available to consumers who purchase the solar energy system. These certificates can be sold or traded in the certificate market for cash. The demand for these certificates is boosted by retailers from whom it’s necessary to buy or sell a number of credits per year.
If excess power is generated by the solar energy system, premium rates for the electricity generated are then paid for by the government.
A company in Australia has the authority to claim a tax rebate if they have a solar energy system installed in their premises.
The Australians Government even offers grants of up to AUD 50,000 for any school in Australia that installs a solar energy system. Community buildings in Australia will receive large amounts of subsidies, if they install a solar energy system.
So, if you’ve read through all the benefits and have finally made your decision on investing in solar energy systems, then all you have to do is simply browse through our product line, contact us and we’ll have your system installed and ready for use in no time.